Dr Boorman BSc (Hons), PGDip, DClinPsy
Dr John Boorman is a UK trained Clinical Psychologist who has been employed within the field of Psychology for over 15 years. He has developed his expertise through working in a range of general and specialist adult and child and adolescent mental health (CAMHS) settings, including general adult mental health, neuro-development (Autism Spectrum Disorders), and adolescent in-patient services.
John has successfully treated a variety of complex clinical presentations including anxiety (e.g. generalized anxiety, social phobia, OCD) and mood (e.g. depression) disorders, substance misuse, conduct disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and deliberate self-harm. John has also worked privately in Australia in a busy and successful clinic where he treated a range of adult, child and family difficulties.
John also has developed a long standing interest in working with vulnerable adults, children and their families which has led to him working in various NHS services services including South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust and St George’s NHS Foundation Trust.
John is a Visiting Lecturer in the University of Hertfordshire’s Clinical Psychology Department. He is author of the book Investigating Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) with Addictions, and co-authored book chapters on ACT for The Sage Handbook of Counselling and Psychotherapy. He regularly teaches on Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT), child development and specific clinical treatment approaches on several Clinical Psychology Doctoral Courses, and has delivered training on Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) for various Universities, such as The University of Birmingham’s ‘ACT Week’, the NHS and private organisations.
John has a special interest in the contextual CBT approach Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). He is currently on the committee board for the BABCP ACT Special Interest Group, which promotes the dissemination and training of ACT throughout the UK. John regularly attends and contributes at national and international psychology conferences. John is also a member of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
Dr Boorman is a registered psychologist with the UK Health Care Professions Council (HPCP) and a member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
Training and Qualifications
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy; Universities of Warwick & Coventry)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychology (PGDip: Open University)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (major) and Physical Education (minor) (BSc Hons; University of Liverpool)
- Barnes-Holmes, Y., Boorman, J., Oliver, J. E., Thompson, M., McEnteggart, C., & Coulter, C. (2018). Using conceptual developments in RFT to direct case formulation and clinical intervention: Two case summaries. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science (Special Section on “Conceptual Developments in Relational Frame Theory: Research and Practice”), 7, 89-96.
- Boorman, J., Morris, E., & Oliver, J. (2017). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. In Feltham, C, & Horton, I. (Eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Counselling Psychotherapy 4th Ed.
- Boorman, J., Cullen, C., Neal, A., & Day, M. (2015). Investigating Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Addictions. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Boorman, J., Morris, E., & Oliver, J. (2012). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. In Feltham, C, & Horton, I. (Eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Counselling Psychotherapy 3rd Ed.
- Boorman, J., Cullen, C., Neal, A., & Day, M. (2012). How acceptable is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to keyworker staff working with individuals with substance misuse difficulties. An exploratory pilot study. Presented at the National BABCP Conference. (Leeds, United Kingdom).
Workshop and Conference Presentations
- Boorman, J & Burnside, E, (2017 & 2018). Skills Development Workshop in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy. 2 day intermediate skills workshop delivered to CBT therapists, psychologists and other practitioners. University of Birmingham. (Birmingham, September).
- Boorman, J & Oliver, J, (2015). Skills Development Workshop in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy. 2 day intermediate skills workshop delivered to CBT therapists, psychologists and other practitioners. University of Birmingham. (Birmingham, September).
- Boorman, J, Barnes-Holmes, Y, Thompson, M, & Oliver, J. (2015). Clinical Applications of Relational Frame Theory (RFT). Half day workshop at ACBS World Conference (Berlin, Germany, July).
- Boorman, J & Oliver, J (2015). Acceptance & Commitment Therapy for CBT Therapists BABCP 1 Day workshop (London, May).
- Boorman, J (2015). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy 4 day workshop delivered at University of Hertfordshire Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (Hertfordshire, February).
- Boorman, J. (2014). Acceptance & Commitment Therapy for child and adolescent practitioners. 1 day workshop delivered for South West London & St George’s Mental Health (London, December).
- Boorman, J, & Barnes-Holmes, Y. (2014). Bridging the Clinical Gap between Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Relational Frame Theory. Half day workshop, 2nd national UK & Ireland BABCP & IABCT Conference (Dublin, Ireland, December).
- Boorman, J. (2014). Understanding Child Development. Half day workshop delivered for Salomons Clinical Psychology Doctoral Course, Canterbury Christ Church University (Kent November).
- Boorman, J (2014). Introduction to using Mindfulness and Acceptance with children with Autism. 1 day workshop for staff at the National Autistic Society, London, November
- Boorman, J. (2014). Using Acceptance & Commitment Therapy with children and young people. 1 day workshop for psychologists in the Australian Psychological Society (APS) (Sydney, Australia, February).