Dr Boorman Provides:
- John utilises a number of psychological interventions including Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT), social learning theory based treatments, attachment & play based therapies, and Mindfulness based treatments including Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to successfully treat children and adolescents, who present with a range of psychological difficulties.
- John also offers specialist and practical advice to parents and carers in developing skills to help manage a range of common parenting problems.
John works with the following difficulties:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Challenging Behaviour
- School Refusal
- Depression & Stress
- Low Self-Esteem
- Developmental Trauma
- Attachment Disorders
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Generalized Anxiety
- Social Anxiety
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sleep and Feeding Difficulties
- Couples Therapy
- John offers parenting and child family assessments for court (expert witness) – this includes cognitive assessments.
Consultation, Training and Workshops
- Consultation to local authorities, and private fostering and adoption agencies to assist professionals make sense of a range of developmental and attachment issues.
- John is a registered ‘Circle of Security’ Parenting Facilitator. He offers specialist, bespoke training for foster carers and adoptive parents on dealing with a range of difficulties.
- Training in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for children and adolescents and CBT therapists.
- Supervision for carers and professionals working with children who are Looked After or Adopted.
- Supervision to professionals who wish to develop their skills competence in incorporating acceptance and mindfulness methods, including ACT, into their clinical practice with children, adolescents and families.
Boorman, J., Cullen, C., Neal, A., & Day, M. (2015). Developing Acceptance. An exploration of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Distress Tolerance, and Treatment Acceptability in the Field of Addictions. Manuscript accepted for publication, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
Boorman, J., Morris, E., & Oliver, J. (2012). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. In Feltham, C, & Horton, I. (Eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Counselling Psychotherapy 3rd Ed.
Boorman, J., Cullen, C., Neal, A., & Day, M. (2012). How acceptable is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to keyworker staff working with individuals with substance misuse difficulties. An exploratory pilot study. Presented at the National BABCP Conference. (Leeds, United Kingdom).
Workshop and Conference Presentations
Boorman, J & Oliver, J, (2015). Skills Development Workshop in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy. 2 day intermediate skills workshop delivered to CBT therapists, psychologists and other practitioners. University of Birmingham. (Birmingham, September).
Boorman, J, Barnes-Holmes, Y, Thompson, M, & Oliver, J. (2015). Clinical Applications of Relational Frame Theory (RFT). Half day workshop at ACBS World Conference (Berlin, Germany, July).
Boorman, J & Oliver, J (2015). Acceptance & Commitment Therapy for CBT Therapists BABCP 1 Day workshop (London, May).
Boorman, J (2015). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy 4 day workshop delivered at University of Hertfordshire Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (Hertfordshire, February).
Boorman, J. (2014). Acceptance & Commitment Therapy for child and adolescent practitioners. 1 day workshop delivered for South West London & St George’s Mental Health (London, December).
Boorman, J, & Barnes-Holmes, Y. (2014). Bridging the Clinical Gap between Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Relational Frame Theory. Half day workshop, 2nd national UK & Ireland BABCP & IABCT Conference (Dublin, Ireland, December).
Boorman, J. (2014). Understanding Child Development. Half day workshop delivered for Salomons Clinical Psychology Doctoral Course, Canterbury Christ Church University (Kent November).
Boorman, J (2014). Introduction to using Mindfulness and Acceptance with children with Autism. 1 day workshop for staff at the National Autistic Society, London, November
Boorman, J. (2014). Using Acceptance & Commitment Therapy with children and young people. 1 day workshop for psychologists in the Australian Psychological Society (APS) (Sydney, Australia, February).